Since, for most people, the asset value of their house, represents, their single – largest, financial asset, doesn’t it make sense, when one, seeks the best home, for them, to do so, carefully, and wisely? Many permit emotional, and/ or, cosmetic features, to outweigh, true, quality considerations, and aspects! Therefore, it is logical, for a potential home buyer, to realize, and know, what to look – for, in order to eliminate certain properties, from consideration, before, committing to, any further time, and responsibility! Some claim, this isn’t that necessary, because one should, always, let a professional, home inspector, and/ or, engineer, examine it, as a requirement of purchase! However, after, over 15 years, as a Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, in the State of New York, I strongly believe, the better – prepared, and educated, a buyer is, the smarter, he will proceed! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 key areas, when, self – inspecting, a potential home, matters.
1. Begin in basement: Many minimize how important, closely examining, the basement is, to making the wisest decision! A close examination, should include: checking for cracks, and/ or, evidence of patching; stains, and/ or, areas of attempted covering – up, of these; ceiling – condition, and/ or, signs of repair, repainting, etc; conditions of walls; any sign of water, either on floor, or near – window; and, odors, etc. The so – called, bones of a home, require, a well – built house, and a basement, in superb condition!
2. Plumbing: A preliminary examination of the house’s plumbing, should, include, taking, certain basis steps! Flush toilets, and listen, and observe! Run the water, and consider, drips, ease of hot – water, water pressure, etc! While the professional, you hire, will look at these, in – depth, why, waste time and money (after all, House Engineers/ Inspectors charge)!
3. HVAC: HVAC, or heating, ventilation, and air – conditioning, refers to the elements, of a house, related to air quality, and comfort. If, a house, has a central system, turn it on, and listen, and observe, how long, it takes to cool. Check the quality, and effectiveness of the heating system, by having it run, and seeing, how long, it takes, for heat, to come out of the radiators, and observe, the noise level, when systems are running!
4. Kitchens and bathrooms: Are you personally, satisfied, with the present condition, and looks, of the kitchen and bathrooms? Consider, what might be needed, to do, if, you aren’t satisfied, as – is! Examine cabinets, appliances, etc, when considering this!
5. Attic: The structural integrity of a particular house, requires, closely looking, at the attic, and seeing, and smelling, if there are any apparent issues! While, it will require a professional, to examine the roof, and gutters, etc, this preliminary step, will create a degree of pre – information, etc.
The more, a potential home buyer, is, prepared, and willing, to take a closer look, the better, the potential results, and satisfaction! Will you commit to being a wiser buyer?
By Richard BrodyArticle Source: http://EzineArticles.com/10512300